sm-discuss - [SM-Discuss] Security notices

sm-discuss AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Public SourceMage Discussion List

  • From: Eric Sandall <eric AT sandall.us>
  • To: SM-Discuss <sm-discuss AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: [SM-Discuss] Security notices
  • Date: Mon, 7 Mar 2005 08:20:17 -0800

Hello all,

In light of a recent and unintended discredit to the curl
developers/community[0] I would like to mention that anyone who does a
security
update reported by someone other than the author's/developers or on the
projects
mailing lists should check at the aforementioned locations before putting up
notices based on second-hand information.

It seems that the problem comes mainly from security reports only going to
security lists (e.g. BugTrac) and never reported to the developers of the
reported project (wget is another example listed in [0]).

Perhaps we should subscribe our sm-security AT sourcemage.org ML to every
package's
security list (if they have a security-only list) mailing list? Somewhat like
we
do sm-spell-submit.

This ends today's "In Other News" department. :)

-sandalle

[0] http://curl.haxx.se/mail/lib-2005-03/0108.html

  • [SM-Discuss] Security notices, Eric Sandall, 03/07/2005