sm-discuss - Re: [SM-Discuss] clean up httpd.conf and adding and removing websites

sm-discuss AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Public SourceMage Discussion List

  • From: Seth Alan Woolley <seth AT positivism.org>
  • To: "David Michael Leo Brown Jr." <dmlb2000 AT excite.com>
  • Cc: sm-discuss AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [SM-Discuss] clean up httpd.conf and adding and removing websites
  • Date: Mon, 28 Feb 2005 10:15:46 -0800

On Mon, Feb 28, 2005 at 12:42:03PM -0500, David Michael Leo Brown Jr. wrote:

> I know this has been talked about on and off before, but I would like
> to seriously get this started.
>
> Right now httpd.conf is very large and cluttered also we don't provide
> choices to add phpmyadmin phppgadmin, and the like, to apache root or
> not. However I wouldn't like to see more questions being asked of the
> user.
>
> I propose to change the /etc/httpd directory adding directories
> modules-available and modules-enabled along with sites-available and
> sites-enabled, might recognize this from debian. The spells would add
> config files to either sites-available or modules-available
> automatically then it would be up to the user to copy or link the
> config files to the sites-enabled or modules-enabled directories, the
> httpd.conf file would also by default source all files in the
> sites-enabled and modules-enabled directories.
>
> Also I propose the same sort of approach to apache root. Adding a
> directory /usr/share/apache[2]/httpd.d where all sites would be
> installed then requiring the user to link from there to where ever
> they want. (Seth I think you were concerned about this)
>
> Since apache is one of linux's biggest security risks (of the few
> security risks that there are :) I think this approach would give more
> power to the user and still provide unattented and safe installs
> without adding more questions.
>
> Let me know what you think, I'm sure most of you will ;)
>
> - David Brown
> dmlb2000*

This is all well and good, however, I'm wondering how we handle the
virtual hosting. I'd like to be able to build spells that automatically
install and update, say, phpmyadmin or drupal, whatever, onto specified
domains. Maybe we can have something like enthrall, except instead of
being for windowmanager menus, it is for httpd virtual hosting. I tire
of installing and upgrading website code by hand, and spells install
them into /usr/share/<spell> currently, most of the time, which was ok,
except that some spells autodetect the document root -- I don't really
want that since I'm not intending to install it to my main document
root. This seems to cover the situation of one server per website, but
really, nobody does that anymore.

Seth

Key id 00BA3AF3 = 8BE0 A72E A47E A92A 0737 F2FF 7A3F 6D3C 00BA 3AF3
http://smgl.positivism.org:11371/pks/lookup?op=get&search=0x00BA3AF3
Security Team Leader Source Mage GNU/Linux http://www.sourcemage.org