sm-discuss - Re: [SM-Discuss] possible enhancement

sm-discuss AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Public SourceMage Discussion List

  • From: Arwed von Merkatz <v.merkatz AT gmx.net>
  • To: sm-discuss AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [SM-Discuss] possible enhancement
  • Date: Sun, 20 Feb 2005 23:17:55 +0100

On Sun, Feb 20, 2005 at 06:08:19PM +0000, Treeve Jelbert wrote:
> several software packages reccommend creating a build directory first and
> do something like
>
> mkdir build
> cd build
> ../configure
> make
>

> in most cases configure accepts the standard options
>

> t would be useful if this situation could be handled by default_build
>
> mkdir build
> cd build
> default_build BASE=../
>
> or even simply
>
> default_build BUILD_IN=builddir
>
> so that builddir was created automatically

I don't think it would be really useful for the majority of spells. The
major use of a seperate build directory is that you can reuse the source
directory for repeated compiles, but we remove that source directory
anyway. I know some projects recommend it, but I don't see a use for
that unless they break without.
Why do you want it? Only because some projects recommend it or is there
some real issue you're trying to solve? Anyway I'm completely against
doing it in default_build, as I know for sure that quite some programs
don't support it.

http://www.sourcemage.org