sm-discuss - Re: [SM-Discuss] MySQL Issue

sm-discuss AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Public SourceMage Discussion List

  • From: vze2hn5x AT verizon.net
  • To: sm-discuss AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [SM-Discuss] MySQL Issue
  • Date: Thu, 10 Feb 2005 22:50:51 -0500

Hello,

Can you run /usr/bin/mysqld_safe on it's own and have it start?

Trying to run that command on its own generates messages:
root@Sanctuary:/home/eric# /usr/bin/mysqld_safe
Starting mysqld daemon with databases from /var/lib/mysql

Number of processes running now: 0
050210 22:42:41 mysqld restarted

Number of processes running now: 0
050210 22:42:41 mysqld restarted

Number of processes running now: 0
050210 22:42:41 mysqld restarted

Number of processes running now: 0
050210 22:42:42 mysqld restarted

Number of processes running now: 0
050210 22:42:42 mysqld restarted

Number of processes running now: 1
kill: usage: kill [-s sigspec | -n signum | -sigspec] [pid | job]... or kill -l [sigspec]
050210 22:42:42 mysqld restarted

Number of processes running now: 0
050210 22:42:42 mysqld restarted

The above lines repeat over and over again for awhile, then I get:

Number of processes running now: 0
050210 22:42:45 mysqld restarted

Number of processes running now: 1
mysqld process hanging, pid 7820 - killed
050210 22:42:45 mysqld restarted
STOPPING server from pid file /var/lib/mysql/Sanctuary.pid
050210 22:42:45 mysqld ended

Did mysql get updated, or any other libraries that mysql uses?

mysql was updated, looking at the mysql depends file, it also looks like perl and zlib were updated as well.

Have you tried `cleanse --fix mysql`?

No, I didn't try that. I did try "cast -r -c mysql" and when that failed to fix the problem "dispel mysql" followed by "cast mysql". Trying cleanse now...

Cleanse decided that something was wrong with procps and recast it. Rebooting the computer results in the same error messages as before. Re-running cleanse shows that everything is fine, even though mysql still doesn't work and mysqld_safe is still giving the same messages as above. Any ideas?

Eric