sm-discuss - Re: [SM-Discuss] bless has to be renamed, again

sm-discuss AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Public SourceMage Discussion List

  • From: Jeremy Blosser <jblosser-smgl AT firinn.org>
  • To: sm-discuss <sm-discuss AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [SM-Discuss] bless has to be renamed, again
  • Date: Mon, 7 Feb 2005 17:44:46 -0600

On Feb 08, Ladislav Hagara [ladislav.hagara AT unob.cz] wrote:

> >That still solves the problem only temporarily because there is no way
> >to tell that some guy won't release a new app on freshmeat tomorrow
> >called enthrall as well.
> >

> smgl- prefix is not problem for me.
> It can even be an advantage.
> If user do not remember the name he/she only write smgl<tab> to show all
> smgl commands. For examle all guru tools.

I guess the best of both worlds approach would be to name everything
smgl-foo, then have 'ln -s smgl-foo foo' by default. If anyone wants to
install a package that has the same name as a smgl command, they are
already probably used to their package having that command (or will be
soon) and they can rm the symlink for the smgl command and just use the
full name if they need it.

But this may be overkill, it depends how much some people think it matters.