sm-discuss - Re: [SM-Discuss] glibc and mysql 4.1.7

sm-discuss AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Public SourceMage Discussion List

  • From: Seth Alan Woolley <seth AT positivism.org>
  • To: Source Mage - Discuss <sm-discuss AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [SM-Discuss] glibc and mysql 4.1.7
  • Date: Wed, 3 Nov 2004 14:25:38 -0800

On Wed, Nov 03, 2004 at 11:18:58PM +0100, Arwed von Merkatz wrote:

> In my opinion the best solution to this is to reverse your change to the
> mysql spell and patch glibc to contain the string NPTL in that output.
> I'm just glad we didn't integrate that glibc into test yet, it'll break
> every spell that has to detect NPTL.
> The other solution would be to grep for the new string instead, fixing
> it in all spells. Though that would mean we would have to grep for both
> strings, as people don't necessarily have the latest glibc snapshot
> installed.
> Opinions, Suggestions?

We need to do both. My reason is that other packages that we aren't
actively maintaining may expect the new output string. Patch glibc for
now, make a routine to detect nptl as a proper grimoire function, and
have the spells use that (so we can easily change the detection logic in
the future).

Seth

Key id EF10E21A = 36AD 8A92 8499 8439 E6A8 3724 D437 AF5D EF10 E21A
http://smgl.positivism.org:11371/pks/lookup?op=get&search=0xEF10E21A
Security Team Leader Source Mage GNU/Linux http://www.sourcemage.org