sm-discuss - [SM-Discuss] Developers: Urgent Perforce server recovery...

sm-discuss AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Public SourceMage Discussion List

  • From: Tony Smith <tony AT smee.org>
  • To: sm-discuss AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: [SM-Discuss] Developers: Urgent Perforce server recovery...
  • Date: Wed, 27 Oct 2004 17:25:46 +0100

OK, here's the scoop. Having lost /home on our Perforce server I've rebuilt
from last night's backup. That means there may be more recent work in your
workspaces than there is in the Perforce server.

There are also lots of other things broken: like the automatic building of
tarballs and population of the download directory to name but a few. I'll get
to those in time.

So, I'm about to fire up the perforce server again and I need your help to
bring things back up to date again.

Rule#1: Do not use 'p4 revert' until you've completed the steps below - you
will likely lose some work.

The object of the exercise now is to re-submit all the work you've done since
3am UK time. You can use Perforce to help you find out what that is. Please
run:

cd <top of your workspace>
p4 diff -se ... | p4 -x - edit
p4 diff -sd ... | p4 -x - delete
find . -type f | p4 -x - add 2>/dev/null

Then run:

p4 opened

and check the list of files you have opened for add/edit and delete. Look
out
for the files opened for add especially - any 'turds' in your workspaces
(like vim recovery files etc) will be included here. Revert those files that
should not be added - note, don't revert edits unless you're really happy to
lose those changes.

Submit the files.

Remember, it's better to have bad changes in the SCM system than good changes
that get lost on your PC. If in doubt - submit it, we can sort out any errors
later.

Thanks for your co-operation.

Tony