sm-discuss - [SM-Discuss] Virus / Worm . . .

sm-discuss AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Public SourceMage Discussion List

  • From: Jason Flatt <jason AT flattfamily.com>
  • To: sm-discuss AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: [SM-Discuss] Virus / Worm . . .
  • Date: Tue, 27 Jul 2004 06:42:25 -0700

I've been getting some rather odd bounced e-mails the last couple of days, so
I'm sending out this request. Would those of you who read this list and use
Windows please verify that you do not have a virus.

I hate to say this here, as I assume that anyone subscribed to this list is a
little beyond the basic computer user, but if you have anti-virus software
installed, please verify your virus definitions are up to date. It is not
enough to have a virus program installed. That free copy of Norton AntiVirus
or McAfee AntiVirus you got with your computer 3 years ago and and have kept
ignoring after about 3 or 6 months is NOT up to date.

If you can't afford to pay for the updates or buy the software at all, there
are a few free options available:
AntiVir: http://www.free-av.com/
Avast: http://www.avast.com/
AVG: http://www.grisoft.com/us/us_index.php
BitDefender: http://www.bitdefender.com/index.php?tab=0
vCatch: http://www.minutegroup.com/prodpg_vcatch.htm

Plus many free online scanners and other utilities:
http://www.freebyte.com/antivirus/

I personally install AntiVir on clients' PCs and have been rather happy with
its performance. If you're going to pay for one, AntiVir is not cheap and
F-Prot may be a better way to go. I actually prefer the non-mainstream
anti-virus programs because virus writers don't target them.

Thank you.

--
Jason Flatt (jason @ flattfamily . com)
Father of five (http://www.flattfamily.com/)