sm-discuss - Re: [SM-Discuss] Foo is ready

sm-discuss AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Public SourceMage Discussion List

  • From: Casey Harkins <charkins AT upl.cs.wisc.edu>
  • To: sm-discuss AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [SM-Discuss] Foo is ready
  • Date: Sun, 18 Jul 2004 12:36:20 -0500 (CDT)

On Sun, 18 Jul 2004, Hamish Greig wrote:

On Sun, 18 Jul 2004 18:22, Seth Alan Woolley wrote:
hgg,

Upon dicussion with the rest of the cabal, it was discovered that we've
been reserving the word 'foo' for another user of that name who may join
us in the future. I sincerely apologize, but we can't comply.

On the other hand, the word 'hgg' would fit nicely. The cabal thus
agreed to change your name to 'hgg'. Processing has completed. You can
now stop petitioning for removal.

Respectfully,
Conspiracy Team Leader and Cheif Cabal Mage,

Seth

Quite interesting, sad that foo is not available though.
hgg, Hamish Greig, hgreig AT bigpond.net.au or any derivative of those is not
acceptable to me though. If you would like to propose another name I will
consider it and if acceptable I will alter the "foo" page accordingly.
Thanks for taking the time to discuss the problem. I await your name proposal,
if unreceived by the end of the week I will resend my petition.

I think 'ass' is still available.

I apologize for being a bit rude, but this is getting a little ridiculous Hamish. If you remember, I tried to help with a few of the bugs that got "swept under the carpet" as you described it. I understand some of your frustrations. I don't agree that these bugs were moved to feature requests purely to spite you, or because of incompetence on the part of our project leader. He was our elected project leader, and was trying his best to keep on the schedule that was set forth for achieving 1.0. I do appreciate all the work you have done. Though I often disagreed with your style of communication, I generally accept people for who they are and how they interact.

Your request for altering the history is way out of line. Can you imagine any other open source project honoring this sort of request? I think they'd all tell you to shove it. Your threat of continued harassment until you are satisfied, which you obviously plan to follow through with, is quite childish. I was generally neutral in this situation, but your continued antics have definitely swayed my position.

Your request has been honored to the extent that is ethical. Now please hold up your end of the bargain and leave.

-casey