sm-discuss - Re: [SM-Discuss] Cdrecord Issues

sm-discuss AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Public SourceMage Discussion List

  • From: Eric Sandall <eric AT sandall.us>
  • To: sm-discuss <sm-discuss AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [SM-Discuss] Cdrecord Issues
  • Date: Tue, 13 Jul 2004 20:05:04 -0700

Quoting Paul <dufflebunk AT dufflebunk.homeip.net>:
> I updated cdrecord and I've started to have problems. It complains now:
> cdrecord: DMA speed too slow. Cannot cdrecord: DMA speed too slow. Cannot
> write at speed 24.
>
> So it requires me to run it with driveropts=burnfree. I did not require
> this for the last version. It prevents nautilus and cdrtoaster from
> working because it needs the extra argument. I'm downgrading now, I
> don't care to actualy run it in non-dummy mode with burnfree on. It was
> burning perfectly three days ago.

The latest version (a33) does DMA checking to make sure it runs at what it
thinks is a safe speed, IIRC.

You could try some of the following (from `man cdrecord`):
CDR_FORCESPEED
If this environment variable is set, cdrecord will allow you to
write at the full DMA speed the system supports. There is no
DMA reserve for reading the data that is to be written from
disk. This will create high potential of buffer underruns. Use
with care.

/etc/default/cdrecord
Default values can be set for the following options in
/etc/default/cdrecord. For example: CDR_FIFOSIZE=8m or
CDR_SPEED=2

CDR_DEVICE
This may either hold a device identifier that is suitable
to the open call of the SCSI transport library or a label
in the file /etc/default/cdrecord that allows to identify
a specific drive on the system.

CDR_SPEED
Sets the default speed value for writing (see also -speed
option).

CDR_FIFOSIZE
Sets the default size of the FIFO (see also fs=# option).

-force Force to continue on some errors. Be careful when using this
option. Cdrecord implements several checks that prevent you
from doing unwanted things like damaging CD-RW media by improper
drives. Many of the sanity checks are disabled when the -force
option is used.

This option also implements some tricks that will allow you to
blank bad CD-RW disks.

This may help.

-sandalle