sm-discuss - [SM-Discuss] performance improvements - some evidence

sm-discuss AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Public SourceMage Discussion List

  • From: Ladislav Hagara <hgr AT vabo.cz>
  • To: sm-discuss AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: [SM-Discuss] performance improvements - some evidence
  • Date: Fri, 04 Jun 2004 02:34:16 +0200

Howdy all !!!

Users of source based distros often declare that source based distros
are more efficient as binary distros, that compiling and optimizing for
particular hardware can bring noticeable performance improvements.

Just comparing Source Mage with last Mandrake (i586.rpm on P4) and
results of all my tests are more or less the same.
Of course the startup of Source Mage is incomparably quicker.
Some of my tests: conversion wav to mp3 or avi to mpg, bzip2 and
bunzip2, md5sum, ...
Do not you know some "better" test ?

- lace -