sm-discuss - Re: [SM-Discuss] perl status and proposal

sm-discuss AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Public SourceMage Discussion List

  • From: Arwed von Merkatz <v.merkatz AT gmx.net>
  • To: sm-discuss AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [SM-Discuss] perl status and proposal
  • Date: Tue, 1 Jun 2004 20:17:44 +0200

On Tue, Jun 01, 2004 at 04:54:52PM +0200, Vladim?r Marek wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I would like to present you my current status of works on perl cpan
> modules.
>
> First of all, I think it would be good to use
> '-Dsiteprefix=/usr/lib/perl_modules' switch for Configure dureing perl
> build. From documentation:
>
> -- cut --
> This variable holds the full absolute path of the directory below which
> the user will install add-on packages.
> -- cut --
>
> Which means that by installing perl modules we will not overwrite files
> from perl installation (for example Term::Cap is installed by perl
> itself, but we can also install newer version of it from CPAN). The real
> problem with overwriting files is when the module is deleted, leaving
> perl possibly in non-functional state.

The few perl modules i got installed were installed to
/usr/lib/perl5/site_perl/<perl version>/<architecture>/
I thought that was the standard? Perl itself doesn't install anything to
/usr/lib/perl5/site_perl, so that directory should be safe.
Having no idea about perl myself i leave that to the perl gurus, but
it's definitely a _very_ good idea to not overwrite any modules
installed by the perl spell.