sm-discuss - Re: [SM-Discuss] installwatch invocation in sorcery

sm-discuss AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Public SourceMage Discussion List

  • From: Arwed von Merkatz <v.merkatz AT gmx.net>
  • To: sm-discuss AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [SM-Discuss] installwatch invocation in sorcery
  • Date: Mon, 24 May 2004 19:44:50 +0200

On Mon, May 24, 2004 at 10:28:16AM -0700, Andrew wrote:

> installwatch is not turned on in prepare_install. it is on for most of
> the build pipeline until POST_BUILD (in api 1) is called, which does
> the final turning off.
>
> The reason it is on is because sometimes spells will install stuff before
> prepare_install is run, and having it on all the time will cause those
> files to be tracked when they otherwise wouldnt be. Files in /usr/src
> are specifically filtered out of the listing.
>
> If you want more alien files we can certainly have an option to put
> "invoke installwatch in prepare_install", im just warning you you're
> not going to like it.

What spell installs anything before prepare_install? That would
definitely be a bug.

> Your logic of sorcery tracking things that weren't installed by the
> spell does not make any sense to me. It tracks everything that the spell
> does, then filters out things that dont exist anymore or are in certain
> special places.
>
> So what if /usr/doc is tracked by every spell? Lots of spells "track"
> /usr and /usr/share and all sorts of other things, I've never seen any
> problems with it. Maybe your understanding of file and directory tracking
> is incorrect because I see no problem with tracking /usr/doc

Tracking /usr/doc is a problem because the spell doesn't install
anything to it, same for /usr/man/man? in most spells i recently cast.

> Also, how does installwatch being on cause spell failures? Bug 3846
> is about tmpfs.

That was the initial thing i suspected, but it's caused by installwatch
breaking tar during the installation of the bootstrap ada compiler.