sm-discuss - [SM-Discuss] Colors and locale warning

sm-discuss AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Public SourceMage Discussion List

  • From: Vladimír Marek <vlmarek AT volny.cz>
  • To: sm-discuss AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: [SM-Discuss] Colors and locale warning
  • Date: Mon, 17 May 2004 10:35:23 +0200

Hello,

I would like to warn when parsing output of external programs in
sorcery, that they may be in different language, or setting.

I casted bash-completion and it was pharting on me bad, with messages
like "/var/lib/sorcery/modules/libapi no such file or directory". The
problem was, that 'ls' is actually 'alias ls="ls --color"' and so that
sorcery had line:

for MODULE in `ls $SGL_LIBRARY_MODULES/lib*[^~]`; do

which don't play nice with colors (I allready fixed it in p4).

Similar may happen if you rely on command outputting text in english,
and user has LANG or LC_whatever set to his own locale.

If I am not wrong, executing binary like

LC_ALL=C whatever

restores all the locales to default, since it overrides all other LC_*

--
Neuron