sm-discuss - Re: [SM-Discuss] generic CRON provider

sm-discuss AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Public SourceMage Discussion List

  • From: Pierre Abbat <phma AT webjockey.net>
  • To: sm-discuss AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [SM-Discuss] generic CRON provider
  • Date: Mon, 10 May 2004 21:20:27 -0400

On Monday 10 May 2004 14:32, Arwed von Merkatz wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> I'd like to have some input about the idea i wrote in bug #6848 [1], and
> possibly one of our gurus implementing it because I'm a bit busy
> currently :)
>
> Here's the basic idea so you don't have to go to the bug if you don't
> care about this ;)
> - add a new init facility 'cron' and have all different cron providers
> provide that
> - add a SCHEDULER or CRON provides to all cron providers
> - optional_depend on SCHEDULER/CRON in exim and do the choice of crontab
> format in POST_INSTALL based on the value of the init facility 'cron',
> i.e. base it on what cron is actually used, with a default of doing
> nothing except issue a warning when the user uses an unknown cron
> implementation
>
> The problem this is trying to solve is that the exim spell depends on
> some cron implementation while it works fine without any cron, and that
> exim does crontab editing based on which cron is used.

I think it should just drop a script in cron.hourly and not worry about what
sort of cron is being used. I wrote fcrontabs so that I could put a rottlog
script in cron.daily and anyone else could put a script in one of those and
get it executed. Anyone want to write hc-crontabs?

phma
--
li fi'u vu'u fi'u fi'u du li pa