sm-discuss - Re: [SM-Discuss] smgl.positivism.org mirror down indefinitely

sm-discuss AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Public SourceMage Discussion List

  • From: Eric Sandall <eric AT sandall.us>
  • To: sm-discuss AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [SM-Discuss] smgl.positivism.org mirror down indefinitely
  • Date: Wed, 5 May 2004 08:33:41 -0700

Quoting Seth Alan Woolley <seth AT positivism.org>:
> The data drive that had all my stuff on it related to my sourcemage
> mirror crashed. Everything critical's backed up. I just lost the
> mirror and some digital camera pictures. Suffice it to say, I don't
> think It'll be back up any time soon. I'm still acting as the primary,
> secondary, and tertiary nameservers (btw, if anybody else wants to be a
> slave nameserver for sourcemage let me know -- preferably international,
> but any will do). The keyserver wasn't on that drive, too, so it still
> works.
>
> I never knew that harddrives could die so quickly. When I realized it
> started getting errors I started the dd process to save everything --
> the read errors caused linux to turn off dma, and by the time I got back
> from work to investigate my stolen laptop, it was doing the mad
> clickety-clickety thing that even a reboot wouldn't stop, so I cut the
> power to it. I was able to pull 44gigs gzipped off of a 120 gig drive
> that had maybe that much compressed written. I hope I got it all.
>
> Please, remember, even new drives need to be backed up -- that one was
> 1yr 3wks old ... the warranty was one year. Let's say I've learned not
> to buy cheap low-warranty hardware.
>
> Also, in case you didn't notice above, I just found out somebody stole a
> laptop of mine from my desk at work while I was home sick. Take that as
> a lesson to not leave broken laptops laying around. I had stopped using
> it and was about to junk it because I broke it the week before making it
> virtually useless as a laptop (pcmcia card slot and battery slot broke),
> which is why I wasn't carrying it around with me. I already changed my
> perforce password, which was the only password unencrypted on the box.
> (If anybody knows how to get it to ask for the password instead let me
> know.) About six months ago I moved all my development over to another
> computer anyways, and everything was backed up that was on it. I wonder
> what they'll do with a broken laptop that boots to "sourcemage login: "
>
> I'm hoping they'll return it. ;) First time anybody's stolen anything
> from me. Then again, I don't have much anybody would want to steal.
>
> So we could use more mirrors at Source Mage. Right now Andrew's mirror
> is down for the time being while he moves so we've got the slow NC, USA
> ibiblio.org main site and Xenith's rocket-fast isurf.ca mirror up in BC,
> Canada. When we had four, now we have two. I'd like to see more
> redundancy and fault-tolerance than that, obviously.
>
> At least, I'm starting to feel better and I think I'm over this
> cold/virus (what you get for working at a medical clinic next to the
> pediatrics department).

I'm sorry to hear about your laptop. It's sad that you cannot trust people
these
days. Glad you're getting over the cold, though. ;) As for mirrors, we could
use a few more and I believe someone (can't remember the name) offered on IRC
to be a mirror over in Europe(?) and was supposed to contact Jason about that.

-sandalle