sm-discuss - Re: [SM-Discuss] Marketing SMGL: Bringing in the crowds

sm-discuss AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Public SourceMage Discussion List

  • From: Cory Schmidt <sourcemage AT schmidtsite.us>
  • To: sm-discuss AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [SM-Discuss] Marketing SMGL: Bringing in the crowds
  • Date: Fri, 23 Apr 2004 07:08:53 -0600

On Friday 23 April 2004 05:33 am, Jaanus Heeringson wrote:

I realize I may be putting the cart before the horse at this point since we
don't even have a plan yet, but I thought I'd submit some ideas that came
immediately to mind:

> Eric Sandall wrote:
> >>This is a very rough outline of how these things usually work:
> >>
> >>1. Before I/we start working on some kind of marketing proposal we need
> >>to decide where we want to head. That means we/you need to clarify and
> >>decide on the general goals and visions of the project. What are we
> >>working against?
> >
> >Would our Social Contract[0] help in that?
>
> Yes it helps, but all it actually says is "We are another open source
> distro, and we play nice & have ethics". We might want to be a bit more
> specific. Who is SMGL suitable for? What differentiates us from other
> distros? As a user i would probably like to know what the intentions of
> the project are. Debian[0] states this well.

One of the huge selling points of Sourcemage as a source-based distro for me
was that it was much more intuitive than that other big source-based distro
that shall remain nameless. I tried Gentoo (oops!) but came back to
Sourcemage. Maybe we could have some testimonials to that effect. Consider me
an official vounteer :-).

> >>2. When the above is settled we can move on to goals and visions for the
> >>marketing effort. Basically, what outcome would you like? Do we want
> >>more users, developers or just piece of mind? We need to set up some
> >>targets for the future. Another important thing: goals are measurable
> >>(there are specific conditions for success), while visions are not.
> >
> >I'd say that our primary goal is enough developers to fill every Lead
> > position, every guru position, and have extras for the "general"
> > positions (list of positions is available on our wiki[1], after that more
> > users are icing on the cake.
>
> Sounds totally resonable.

Another selling point for Sourcemage (right now at least) is that it's small
enough that someone who knows what they're doing can contribute right away. I
think it's harder to do that in other larger projects.

> >>3. When we have the goals and visions in place we can start defining our
> >>target audiences.
> >
> >Developers! Developes! Developers!
> >/me does a monkey dance
>
> Wouldn't users also be part of the priority since they also contribute
> to the project by reporting bugs etc?
> Do we wish to bring in experienced developers and put them to work
> directly, or do we need users who we can "educate"?
>
> >>4. Figure out what attracts the target audience and adjust our
> >>communication accordingly (redesign of visuals and information etc.)
> >
> >Hmmm....easy one: women. However, that probably won't work out as we want,
> > so perhaps a cool-sounding project? One with lots of prospects? Able to
> > put your name on the web?
>
> My experience is that most OS people are motivated by needs, ego and
> cash. Since we can roule out cash in the short term, that leaves us with
> needs and ego.
> 1. What needs do SMGL fulfill with end users and developers? Control?
> Speed? Who might use it commercially?
> 2. The larger and more well-known the project, the better for the
> ego-related attraction.

I think with any source-based distro users are attracted by the manly surge
of
adrenaline that comes with compiling your own stuff. So if we market to
regular Linux users we should play on that. If we market to "competing"
source-base distro users we should probably focus on Sourcemage's
intuitiveness (if that's a word) and ease of use.