sm-discuss - [SM-Discuss] Re: Server Move . . .

sm-discuss AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Public SourceMage Discussion List

  • From: "Mathieu L" <lejatorn AT linuxmail.org>
  • To: sm-discuss AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: [SM-Discuss] Re: Server Move . . .
  • Date: Tue, 20 Apr 2004 08:34:00 +0000

> > Maybe we can split up everything so it's not all on one server. For
> > example, I know I can help out in some ways (like nameservers), but due
> > to my not being rich and somewhat limited bandwidth, if we are to grow,
> > we can't rely on my resources for everything. However, I'm sure we
> > together have enough resources to go around. Somebody can host
> > bugzilla, for example, another can host the front page and
> > announcements, another the forum, another the email lists. This of
> > course is difficult if we are going to use some fancy integrated CMS.
> >
> > The robust approach can often be the decentralized one. Just something
> > to keep in mind.
> >
> > For example, we can leave the iso download and main mirror on ibiblio's
> > server because it's working fine for that, I presume, as those take up
> > the most bandwidth.
> >
> > The rest can be farmed out, or since bandwidth is so reduced, we can
> > host everything else on a single server with lower bandwidth capability.
> >
> > Seth

I can also host a few non essential things which don't require to be online
24h a day; I have a very good bandwidth (T1 connection) but my computer can't
be always turned on since I'm sleeping at 2m from it...:-(
We could also synchronize from around the world; someone from the US could
host
the same thing I do while I am asleeep and vice versa.

/Lejatorn.

We are Microsoft. Linux is irrelevant.
Openness is futile. Prepare to be assimilated.