sm-discuss - [SM-Discuss] HISTORY file updates

sm-discuss AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Public SourceMage Discussion List

  • From: Seth Alan Woolley <seth AT positivism.org>
  • To: sm-discuss AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: [SM-Discuss] HISTORY file updates
  • Date: Mon, 12 Apr 2004 23:40:56 -0700

I just stepped on everybody's toes and committed two huge fixes to devel
and test for HISTORY files.

I also updated the wiki to clarify the HISTORY file format:

--begin--

2003-10-13[ONE-SPACE]Name[ONE-SPACE]<your e-mail>

[ONE-TAB]*[ONE-SPACE]<comma-space-delimited-file(s)>:[ONE-SPACE]Description
of similar changes.
[BLANK LINE HERE]
2003-10-08[ONE-SPACE]Name[ONE-SPACE]<your e-mail>

[ONE-TAB]*[ONE-SPACE]<comma+space-delimited-file(s)>:[ONE-SPACE]Description
of similar changes.

[ONE-TAB]*[ONE-SPACE]<comma+space-delimited-file(s)>:[ONE-SPACE]Description
of similar changes
[ONE-TAB][TWO-SPACES]continuing on another line.
[BLANK LINE HERE]

--end--

You'll note the changes that I mention that files are delimited with
comma and space and that line continuations take tab-space-space in
front of the continuation lines, and that I have a period put at the end
of the descriptions.

I made a script to convert the old format to the new format and I
happened to enforce the tab-space-space continuation rule by sheer
reason that I had to pick one for my script to make things look neat.

I only enforced the spacing between and among entries and the order of
information in the date/name/email line in my script. Inserting files
modified and putting periods at the ends of sentences was ignored. I
also didn't enforce any specified maximum length of description strings,
although we might consider that. A while ago I fixed the sorcery
ChangeLog for long lines by hand.

To make future mass updates go a bit smoother for people, I'll suggest
running a p4 edit on any file you're even considering editing. That's a
reservation that people doing mass edits should be especially careful
to heed, and toes will be safer.

I hope that since I didn't touch anybody's sacred interpreted "code"
that I haven't intruded too much and people will enjoy the cleaner
history entries.

Wow, I think my wife's rubbing off on me. If you had known me ten years
ago, you'd never figure me for somebody so anal about things being neat.

Seth

--
Seth Alan Woolley <seth at positivism.org>, SPAM/UCE is unauthorized
Key id EF10E21A = 36AD 8A92 8499 8439 E6A8 3724 D437 AF5D EF10 E21A