sm-discuss - [SM-Discuss] Slice of History . . .

sm-discuss AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Public SourceMage Discussion List

  • From: Jason Flatt <jason AT flattfamily.com>
  • To: sm-discuss <sm-discuss AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: [SM-Discuss] Slice of History . . .
  • Date: Tue, 30 Dec 2003 18:12:41 -0800

There has now been, for the second time in the last few months, a question
about the name of our distribution. When the name change was finalized, all
of our public interfaces (mail lists, Web sites, etc.) also changed and none
of the existing public interfaces have any of the history from before the
name change.

I may be wrong, but as I remember it, the name that won the vote was "Source
Mage GNU/Linux". I remember it so vividly, because I voted against it. :^)
(And the guy who wanted it so much is no longer with us.) I thought the name
stunk and I wanted something else. (I was also not very pleased with any of
the offerings, but failed to come up with anything better, so here I stand.)
Despite the fact that I voted against it, I now defend it whenever it is
questioned or challenged.

What I'm looking for now is if there is anyone out there who was wise (or
smart, or lucky, or...) enough to save some or all of our history. I'm only
interested in the time period from when our first fearless leader went into
isolation (ahem -- deep coding) to when then name change took effect. I
think we should, if possible, try to reintegrated it back into our existing
public interface or at least provide a place on the Web site or Wiki where
the information can be publicly accessed.

What say you?

--
Jason Flatt (jason @ flattfamily . com)
Father of five (http://www.flattfamily.com/)