sm-discuss - Re: [SM-Discuss] FHS proposed changes poll

sm-discuss AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Public SourceMage Discussion List

  • From: "Robert Helgesson" <rycee AT home.se>
  • To: sm-discuss AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [SM-Discuss] FHS proposed changes poll
  • Date: Mon, 24 Nov 2003 21:29:14 +0100

On Mon, Nov 24, 2003 at 20:06:26 +0100, Arwed von Merkatz wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> i just read through all of the replies to the fhs stuff and here is what
> seems to be the general consensus:
> /media/cdrom vs. /mnt/cdrom:
> /mnt/cdrom, reject /media
>
> /srv:
> reject
>
> If no one complains about that i will forward this result to the
> fhs-discuss list tomorrow evening.

I agree with this.

I do think it would be a good idea to have standardized positions for
the standard server data directories, but putting it directly under /
would IMO be bad, somewhere under /var feels like a better choice.
Possibly /var/srv as has been suggested. The media dir feels very
superfluous, I think either of videos, music or of the actual physical
cd media, /mnt is well understood and perfectly fine.

Finally, I think it may be worth it to define some sort of standard on
how the content of the common server data dirs should be laid out. Just
saying /srv/www is where the web server data is going to be isn't of
much use I think.

For example, for the http data there could be a system for handling
virtual domains, cgi-bin directories and so on. Something like the
following perhaps.

/var/srv/www/
localhost/ <= the default
cgi-bin/
dataroot/
www.virtual-host.com/
cgi-bin/
errors/
icons/
dataroot/

Problem is, will this be flexible enough to work for everybody while
still allow sensible defaults for the web server configs?

Oh, and finally +1 on the /var/chroot dir.

--
/ Robert Helgesson |-- rycee AT home.se --\
\-- GPG Key ID: 41E95A5B --| http://www.rycee.cx/ /