sm-discuss - Re: [SM-Discuss] Problem with time on bootup

sm-discuss AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Public SourceMage Discussion List

  • From: Bruno Wolff III <bruno AT wolff.to>
  • To: sm-discuss AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [SM-Discuss] Problem with time on bootup
  • Date: Thu, 30 Oct 2003 07:45:33 -0600

On Thu, Oct 30, 2003 at 19:26:33 +1300,
Robin Sheat <robin AT kallisti.net.nz> wrote:
> Hey, I've found that when my computer boots, the clock starts off being
> wrong, it
> thinks that local time is GMT. However, the hwclock command gets it right:
> $ sudo hwclock --show
> Thu Oct 30 19:24:57 2003 -0.224571 seconds
>
> Whats the best way of dealing with this?
> (actually, a thought...it may be the kernel is expecting the hw clock in
> UTC, and
> the time that gets set is in fact 11 hours ahead not 13 behind, I haven't
> looked
> into that yet)

You do want your hardware clock set to UTC. The people who thought differently
when designing Windows were brain damaged. The main problem with using local
time is handling changes between daylight savings time and standard time.
This causes problems at the changeover points and with having multiple
OS's on the same box.