sm-discuss - [SM-Discuss] Pseudo Terminal Problem

sm-discuss AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Public SourceMage Discussion List

  • From: "John Copeland" <johnc AT neto.com>
  • To: <sm-discuss AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: [SM-Discuss] Pseudo Terminal Problem
  • Date: Wed, 15 Oct 2003 21:52:50 -0500

Anybody!

When I bring up KDE on my personal logon(not root) and try to start konsole I
get the following mesage and konsole terminates:
"Unable to open a suitable terminal"
After termination of KDE, I have a console message:
"Can't open a pseudo teletype"

I can start xterm by using "Run Command" from the KDE menu.  When I look in
the directory, /dev/pts, I see 0.  If I start another xterm, I see
/dev/pts{0,1}.  This tells me that pseudo terminals are configured in the
kernel(which I checked).  /proc/filesystems has " nodev devpts".
/etc/mtab has "devpts /dev/pts devpts rw 0 0"

If I logged on as root then konsole starts as it should.

This acts like a permission problem, but I have no clue where.  Also since
xterm is ok, I don't think the permissions have to do with /dev/ptmx or
/dev/pts.

Anybody got any ideas?

Thanks
JohnC