sm-discuss - Re: [SM-Discuss] Parellel booting

sm-discuss AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Public SourceMage Discussion List

  • From: Seth Woolley <seth AT tautology.org>
  • To: Robin <robin AT kallisti.net.nz>
  • Cc: sm-discuss AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [SM-Discuss] Parellel booting
  • Date: Fri, 19 Sep 2003 18:52:58 -0700 (PDT)

After making it optional, curiously, it's a couple seconds slower on my
single processor box. That's like 10% slower while it is doing init
stuff. I don't have a parallel box to test it with though... I'm sure it
would be much faster in that case. I'll default it to off then and SMPers
can edit /etc/sysconfig/init:PARALLEL_INIT=yes

I had to redesign the status message printing, as well, since the old
print_status didn't know what it was printing status for since any number
of things could be going at once. I think people will like it though. I
do. The [ OK ] stuff was designed for sequential booting and I thought
it was ugly anyways. It looks like this now:

init.d: rc: Entering runlevel 3...
init.d: sshd: Starting sshd...
init.d: alsa: Sarting alsa...
init.d: sshd: success
init.d: alsa: success

but "success" is the success color, too (can't represent this over text
email). Same with failure and warning. I need to go through the diff
procedure and make a patch now... I think it's pretty stable at this
point. I think I'll make the script name white instead of grey though.

Seth