sm-discuss - Re: [SM-Discuss] Attracting new developers

sm-discuss AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Public SourceMage Discussion List

  • From: Seth Woolley <seth AT tautology.org>
  • To: Dufflebunk <dufflebunk AT go-nix.ca>
  • Cc: David Kowis <dkowis+smdiscuss AT shlrm.org>, "Eric D. Schabell M.Sc" <projectlead AT sourcemage.org>, sm-discuss <sm-discuss AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [SM-Discuss] Attracting new developers
  • Date: Fri, 5 Sep 2003 12:16:39 -0700 (PDT)

We can make a manual section for our API and use bashdoc to dynamically
generate new man pages every night and I can publish it from something
like this:

http://smgl.positivism.org/bin/misc/man.cgi

Mine will auto-cross-link as well if a man page exists for a word used, so
combined with this bashdoc.sh program, we can have auto-generating man
pages in the end hopefully with full API description. Whether to have API
be a separate section from user docs is another matter -- they could be
combined. Right now I have pulled the wiki into man pages for example:

http://smgl.positivism.org/bin/misc/man.cgi/wiki/SourceMageWiki

http://smgl.positivism.org/music/wiki/man/
(the wiki crawling bot I wrote was a bit too aggressive)
http://smgl.positivism.org/music/wiki/
(raw wiki pages grabbed by the bot)

sources:
http://smgl.positivism.org/bin/misc/man.cgi.txt
http://smgl.positivism.org/bin/misc/wiki2man.pl
http://smgl.positivism.org/bin/misc/wiki2man2.pl

They are almost dirty hacks and table conversion support is a bit weak but
sometimes works. I think I did something wrong on that part ;)