sm-discuss - Re: [SM-Discuss] RFC: Overwrite config file solution...

sm-discuss AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Public SourceMage Discussion List

  • From: Dufflebunk <dufflebunk AT dufflebunk.homeip.net>
  • To: Rob Verkuylen <rob AT verkuylen.net>
  • Cc: sm-discuss <sm-discuss AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [SM-Discuss] RFC: Overwrite config file solution...
  • Date: Sat, 02 Aug 2003 23:11:05 -0000

All new and modified files are logged.
You are asked if you want to see what files have been installed already.
It is not possible to prompt for changes to every file before they are
made. The best we can do is add support for auto-backups.

The stuff backed up was generated in the previous cast. Any changes
since then are lost. If the auto backup stuff were added to the scripts
(not a small project), then what you suggest is quite possible. More
than likely a tool to roll back specific files/spells would be created.

On Sat, 2003-08-02 at 03:11, Rob Verkuylen wrote:

> I agree, /etc is the dir for configs, so that would be a great start.
>
> Although this is a leap in the right direction, but it would still
> result in loosing all your settings and have to digg into the backups to get
> your old settings back.
>
> We are logging all files during a cast, arenĀ“t we ? So is there a
> possibility
> to ask for the changes after the cast ?
> We can ask the same questions...overwrite(do nothing), leave as is(replace
> backup), see diff(show diff)
>
> Rob
>
> On Wednesday 16 July 2003 22:11, Eric Sandall wrote:
> > Dufflebunk said:
> > > You may all be happy to know that the sorcery team has possible partial
> > > solution, the ability to backup files before they are replaced. Althoug
> > > there are several sorcery projects going on, we are going to try to get
> > > this
> > > in soon. People who are worried about loosing stuff can define 'export
> > > INSTALLWATCH_BACKUP_PATH=/root/BACKUP.iw/'. Then files get copied there
> > > before they are overwritten. This has been an undocumented feature of
> > > installwatch for the last few versions.
> > >
> > > But some questions which may help us, how would you (programaticly)
> > > define a
> > > config file? Anything in /etc? Anything ending in .conf?
> >
> > For starters we could say anything in /etc, that should cover (almost) all
> > config files.
> >
> > BTW, isn't REAP supposed to take care of this for us? Or is that just for
> > dispelling?
> >
> > When you have a chance (unless you're already planning on this) could we
> > have that in the Options of Sorcery (with us being capable of specifying
> > our own directory)? :)
> >
> > -sandalle
<snip glob of sigs>