sm-discuss - [SM-Discuss] Re: [SM-Grimoire] Re: bug in flash-6.0r79 spell

sm-discuss AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Public SourceMage Discussion List

  • From: Geoffrey Derber <Geoffrey.Derber AT Trinity.edu>
  • To: Eric Womack <eric AT sourcemage.com>
  • Cc: sm-discuss AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: [SM-Discuss] Re: [SM-Grimoire] Re: bug in flash-6.0r79 spell
  • Date: Sun, 29 Jun 2003 13:24:03 -0500

Eric Womack wrote:
OK, I have tested some things on 3 seperate machines and I have decided not to include this patch.

However

The reason that I don't want to include it is that the changes can be done live 'on-the-fly' with a few changes to the flash spell. Here are the changes that need to be done:

1. Fix the BUILD so that the cp commands end in / to fix that problem.

Done

2. In each subsection, have a mkdir command specific to the system OR what about a universal one (say /usr/lib/browserplugins/ ) ?

Shouldn't the spell for each individual browser create those directories? I know mozilla, netscape and opera do, for kdebase because we are modifying the location, can we have kdebase create that directory so other plugins can use it as well (not just flash) and if other plugins use it and they all try creating the directory, things could get messy, I think it'd be better to have the browser spells create those directories.

3. Finish the BUILD with a:

ln -sf /usr/lib/libstdc++.so /usr/lib/libstdc++-libc6.2-2.so.3

This line is needed in order to make the flash plugin (which was built for RedHat 6.2) work with our source-based distro.***

I thought the gcc spell now did this? Wouldn't it be better to have gcc do this than flash, because I know other spells need this symlink as well, and again, I think it'd be better to have a single spell create the link than multiple spells.

4. Finally, in Konqueror, under Settings/Configure Konqueror/Plugins/Scan Directories the entry from #2 above can be added and scanned. As soon as I track down the storage location of this file, the spell can do it itself.

I think this is a much cleaner way of handling this and avoids a patch that would have to be maintained from version to version. I would prefer to keep the source based spells (in this case kdebase) as clean as possible and since the work-around is needed for a binary spell that the adjustments be made in that spell.

Okay, I've commented out the install for kdebase in the flash spell until this is done (for testing just remove the comments, I'd rather have a single person do that than trouble for everyone else in the mean time). Btw, the patch I sent should provide the storage location of the file. kdebase-${VERSION}/nsplugins/pluginscan.cpp.

Geoff