sm-discuss - Re: [SM-Discuss] NPTL

sm-discuss AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Public SourceMage Discussion List

  • From: "Sergey A. Lipnevich" <sergey AT optimaltec.com>
  • To: mlubrano AT sourcemage.org
  • Cc: SM-Discuss <sm-discuss AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [SM-Discuss] NPTL
  • Date: Sat, 14 Jun 2003 16:31:38 -0400

I'm reading this http://people.redhat.com/drepper/nptl-design.pdf and it says:

Today’s demands for threads can hardly be satisfied by the Linux-
Threads library implementing POSIX threads which is currently part of
the standard runtime environment of a Linux system. It was not written
with the kernel extensions we have now and in the near future available,
it does not scale, and it does not take modern processor architectures
into account. A completely new design is necessary and this paper will
outline the design we came up with.

M.L. wrote:

why should we need this ? more posix compliancy ?