sm-discuss - [SM-Discuss] Fresh Install - Flex with modutils and xfree86

sm-discuss AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Public SourceMage Discussion List

  • From: Duane Malcolm <d.malcolm AT auckland.ac.nz>
  • To: sm-discuss <sm-discuss AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: [SM-Discuss] Fresh Install - Flex with modutils and xfree86
  • Date: Tue, 03 Jun 2003 09:20:35 +1200

Hi,

I did a fresh install this weekend and came up with a few problems.

During the rebuild modutils failed. Later, when xfree86 4.3 failed, missing yylex variable, or something like that. I found if I downgraded flex from 2.5.31 to 2.5.27 both these installed fine.

Next problem was when installing gnome-2-desktop-profile, gtk+2 would fail because it couldn't find pango. So I quit installing gnome-2-desktop-profile, installed pango and restarted installing gnome-2-desktop-profile. This time gtk+2 installed fine. Should pango be made a dependency of gtk+2? I've noticed this in the past, I would get a lot of failed spells when installing gnome-2-desktop-profile, but not the second time, I assume it's because pango was installed later.

Finally, I had trouble installing libglade2, in the PRE_BUILD it tries to install Python, but it couldn't find the "remove_depends" command, so I commented this out of the file. Even with this it took a while for libglade to restart compilation while installing Python, I checked the processor usage for casting Python and it was zero for a while so I quit this and removed the PRE_BUILD file, knowing that Python-expat was installed. I think I was just being impatient. Anyway, just a note on the remove-depends command.

Now everything is installed, bar a couple of spells and I can get X to start but can't get gdm to start. I'll keep working away at it. Will keep you posted.

Cheers, Duane