sm-discuss - Re: [SM-Discuss] How safe are we???

sm-discuss AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Public SourceMage Discussion List

  • From: Marc Greene <marcg AT phreaker.net>
  • To: sm-discuss <sm-discuss AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [SM-Discuss] How safe are we???
  • Date: Fri, 9 May 2003 08:42:35 -0700 (PDT)

It seems the best defense against this type of thing is simply keeping
backups on hand. Also, it's probably a good idea as a precaution to
umount any unnecessary filesystems with valuable or critical data before
doing updates. As someone long ago mentioned, there is a great deal of
trust in this whole system. If you think about it, there are a fair
number of people involved in editing the scripts that get run as root on
your computer. The SM users have to trust them to get it right, as well
as think about security from hacks. I mean, if someone successfully
impersonated one of the gurus, or hacked their machine/email account,
then they wouldn't even need direct access to the servers to wreak havoc
on SM users systems. So in addition to the things that Dufflebunk
mentioned, users should probably also be encouraged to take what
precautions they can for themselves so this trust issue won't be so
scary.

Marc