sm-discuss - Re: [SM-Discuss] mirroring

sm-discuss AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Public SourceMage Discussion List

  • From: Eric Womack <eric AT sourcemage.com>
  • To: sm-discuss AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [SM-Discuss] mirroring
  • Date: Fri, 10 Jan 2003 22:50:49 -0800

On Friday 10 January 2003 8:55 pm, Andrew wrote:
> So there was a thread about a week ago refering to mirroring off
> of ibiblio. Has anyone been able to rsync back off of it? Is this
> possible? If so I think we should update/expand my small and poorly
> written section on HOWTO-Mirror (which basically says to do summon's
> in cron). I havent been able to figure out how to get mirroring to work
> with rsync (and i lack the time to track it down).
>
> Also, I noticed we dont have the mirror.pl software they mention that
> we could use. Should we add a spell for that, or is there some reason not
> to?
>
> One last point, i think rysnc needs to have a(n) (optional_)depend
> on netkit-rsh.
>
> Andrew

I have not pulled off the module (since I am pushing to it) but I have
checked
for its existance:

eric@engineering:~$ rsync ibiblio.org::

Welcome to ibiblio.org's rsync server!

If you have problems or questions, feel free to mail help AT ibiblio.org.

If you will, please subscribe to our mirror announcement list:

We offer these particular rsync modules simply because users
have asked for them. If you would like another archive offered
as an rsync module, please ask help AT ibiblio.org.

Thanks!

Docsouth Documenting the American South
Linux ibiblio linux archive, proper
chinese-music Chinese music collection
distros Linux Distributions (use this to get at particular distros)
gentoo Gentoo Linux Distribution
ggi GGI
gnome Gnome stable tree
gnu GNU software
gutenberg Project Gutenberg
htdig htdig mirror
iupac iupac downloads
kde our KDE mirror (complete)
kernel.org the kernel.org mirror
ldp_mirror Linux Documentation Project
maven maven
obp Open Book Project
pld PLD Linux Distribution
sun-info Sun Info
sun-packages Sun Solaris Packages
freedos FreeDOS
sourcemage sourcemange

The mirror.pl is a generic Perl script for mirroring, and you can use it if
you wish, but you can also use rsync directly (see man rsync) and you will
get the entire site, along with the mirrors.

And, please, don't resort to rsh! To pull to your site you need NOTHING but
rsync, and if you are pushing with rsync you REALLY want to go to ssh.

P.S. Quick run-down of rsync:

rsync is a file transfer program capable of efficient remote update
via a fast differencing algorithm.

Usage: rsync [OPTION]... SRC [SRC]... [USER@]HOST:DEST
or rsync [OPTION]... [USER@]HOST:SRC DEST
or rsync [OPTION]... SRC [SRC]... DEST
or rsync [OPTION]... [USER@]HOST::SRC [DEST]
or rsync [OPTION]... SRC [SRC]... [USER@]HOST::DEST
or rsync [OPTION]... rsync://[USER@]HOST[:PORT]/SRC [DEST]
SRC on single-colon remote HOST will be expanded by remote shell
SRC on server remote HOST may contain shell wildcards or multiple
sources separated by space as long as they have same top-level

For most users looking for a local mirror off of ibiblio, I recommend the
--archive and --delete option.
--
Eric Womack
Grimoire Guru - KDE

---
One evening Mr. Rudolph Block, of New York, found himself seated at dinner
alongside Mr. Percival Pollard, the distinguished critic.
"Mr. Pollard," said he, "my book, _The Biography of a Dead Cow_, is
published anonymously, but you can hardly be ignorant of its authorship.
Yet in reviewing it you speak of it as the work of the Idiot of the Century.
Do you think that fair criticism?"
"I am very sorry, sir," replied the critic, amiably, "but it did not
occur to me that you really might not wish the public to know who wrote it."
-- Ambrose Bierce