sm-discuss - Re: [SM-Discuss] Running everything _but_ make install as non-root

sm-discuss AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Public SourceMage Discussion List

  • From: "Eric Sandall" <eric AT sandall.us>
  • To: <sm-discuss AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Cc: <sergeyli AT pisem.net>
  • Subject: Re: [SM-Discuss] Running everything _but_ make install as non-root
  • Date: Thu, 9 Jan 2003 21:54:07 -0800 (PST)

Chris Brien said:

> This has been suggested before, and I for one would advocate it.
> However, the case was made that it would be too much effort to convert
> every single spell, and that argument won. I will happily modify
> sorcery to enable this, and to even allow backwards-compatibility with
> the current setup (single BUILD containing prepare_install).
>
> If Eric (Sandall, new grimoire-guru) agrees, this would be a good thing
> to do. But, if the majority don't want change, then I can't really do
> anything.
>
> Chris

I say go for it, but only if we can keep backwards compatibility. This
way, gurus can gradually convert their spells over as they have time and
not be forced to do it all at once (not all gurus have the same amount of
free time). However, I also agree with Chris, if the majority of people
believe that this security feature is now worth the trouble, then we'll
not facilitate it (well, until it's brought up later because even more
problems are caused ;)).

-One of Four
a.k.a. sandalle

--