sm-discuss - Re: [SM-Discuss] OpenSSH problem

sm-discuss AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Public SourceMage Discussion List

  • From: Casey Harkins <charkins AT upl.cs.wisc.edu>
  • To: Eric Sandall <eric AT sandall.us>
  • Cc: Source Mage - Discuss <sm-discuss AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [SM-Discuss] OpenSSH problem
  • Date: Fri, 6 Dec 2002 04:21:25 -0600 (CST)

Sorry, I guess there are just two gnome-askpass versions in there.
x11-askpass is hosted externally and appears to be down right now. I've
attached the contrib/README from openssh which has more info.

-casey

On Fri, 6 Dec 2002, Casey Harkins wrote:

> You need an 'askpass' program for openssh. I've never used one, but there
> are a couple (x11-askpass and gnome-askpass) in the contrib/ directory in
> the openssh tarball. The openssh spell should probably ask if they should
> be built.
>
> -casey
>
> On Thu, 5 Dec 2002, Eric Sandall wrote:
>
> > I have this error when trying to use a GUI CVS tool that wasn't started
> > from a console (if started on the console, I am asked for the password in
> > said console). (I had this problem on my brother's computer as well,
> > solved it by removing openssh and installing ssh, ick!):
> >
> > ssh_askpass: exec(/usr/libexec/ssh-askpass): No such file or directory
> >
> > Any ideas?
> >
> > -One of Four
> > a.k.a. sandalle
Other patches and addons for OpenSSH. Please send submissions to
djm AT mindrot.org

Externally maintained
---------------------

SSH Proxy Command -- connect.c

Shun-ichi GOTO <gotoh AT imasy.or.jp> has written a very useful ProxyCommand
which allows the use of outbound SSH from behind a SOCKS4, SOCKS5 or
https CONNECT style proxy server. His page for connect.c has extensive
documentation on its use as well as compiled versions for Win32.

http://www.taiyo.co.jp/~gotoh/ssh/connect.html

X11 SSH Askpass:

Jim Knoble <jmknoble AT pobox.com> has written an excellent X11
passphrase requester. This is highly recommended:

http://www.ntrnet.net/~jmknoble/software/x11-ssh-askpass/index.html

In this directory
-----------------

ssh-copy-id:

Phil Hands' <phil AT hands.com> shell script to automate the process of adding
your public key to a remote machine's ~/.ssh/authorized_keys file.

gnome-ssh-askpass[12]:

A GNOME and Gtk2 passphrase requesters. Use "make gnome-ssh-askpass1" or
"make gnome-ssh-askpass2" to build.

sshd.pam.generic:

A generic PAM config file which may be useful on your system. YMMV

sshd.pam.freebsd:

A PAM config file which works with FreeBSD's PAM port. Contributed by
Dominik Brettnacher <domi AT saargate.de>

mdoc2man.pl:

Converts mdoc formated manpages into normal manpages. This can be used
on Solaris machines to provide manpages that are not preformated.
Contributed by Mark D. Roth <roth AT feep.net>

redhat:

RPM spec file and scripts for building Redhat packages

suse:

RPM spec file and scripts for building SuSE packages