sm-discuss - Re: [SM-Discuss] PCMCIA Net card problem

sm-discuss AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Public SourceMage Discussion List

  • From: Casey Harkins <charkins AT upl.cs.wisc.edu>
  • To: Joaquín Bernal <jbernal AT baara.com>
  • Cc: sm-discuss AT lists.ibiblio.org, Joaquín Bernal <jb AT baara.com>
  • Subject: Re: [SM-Discuss] PCMCIA Net card problem
  • Date: Sun, 1 Dec 2002 21:00:18 -0600 (CST)

On Sun, 1 Dec 2002, Joaquín Bernal wrote:
> So these are the steps (don't know if any of them is not needed):
>
> 1. Cast init.d
> 2. Check /etc/pcmcia/network.opts

I don't have my laptop handy, but I believe the "/etc/pcmcia" directory
gets created by the pcmcia-cs package, so this step should occur after
installing pcmcia-cs.

> 3. Install manually pcmcia-cs (downloading from another PC and using
> a diskette, for example)

Not sure if you mean install pcmcia-cs completely from source, or copy the
source into /var/spool/sorcery and then cast it.

> 4. Follow instructions in PCMCIA-HOWTO (in the same package) for
> kernel configuration.
> 5. Kernel rebuild (makes, lilo, etc.)
>
> Done!

Glad you got it working! I'm curious as to why it stopped working. Did
you answer "Yes" to the question about needing PCMCIA support when
configuring the network during the installed? When you installed pcmcia-cs
(step 3 above), did you 'cast' it or just manually build and install?

-casey