sm-discuss - Re: [SM-Discuss] UT2003's updater segfaults

sm-discuss AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Public SourceMage Discussion List

  • From: Mads Laursen <dossen+sgl AT daimi.au.dk>
  • To: sm-discuss AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [SM-Discuss] UT2003's updater segfaults
  • Date: Sat, 30 Nov 2002 13:55:55 +0100

On 29/11/02 22.56, Michael Taylor wrote:
> I know this is kind of off topic, but I want to know if this works for
> anyone else using Source Mage.
> Unreal Tournament 2003 is apparantly linked against glibc 2.1, and I have
> never gotten the game proper to work because it always gave a relocation
> error (whatever that means...) So I decided to make it a dedicated server
> and play on my Windows system. The dedicated server as downloadable from
> the official site works fine. However, when I ran the loki_update program
> in the update directory, it downloaded the patch file fine, but the update
> failed:
>
> Verifying archive integrity... All good.
> Uncompressing Unreal Tournament 2003 Dedicated for GNU/Linux 2107b
> patch..................................................................
> ./update.sh: line 62: 6747 Segmentation fault loki_patch --verify
> patch.dat
> The program returned an error code (1)
>
> I've since downloaded the patch files themselves and tried to run them
> manually (they're Makeself archives) but they fail with the same error.
> When I manually uncompressed them and tried to run the updates line for
> line loki_patch failed with the same error, even when I ignored the verify
> step and tried to run the update directly.
> I've emailed Loki's support services but haven't gotten a reply yet, and I
> want to know if anyone has experience with this and can possibly tell me
> something I've missed.

Well, I've had this error with several Loki titles, which I own, and
the following procedure allowed me to upgrade:

- create a directory somewhere

- unpack the binaries of a pre-2.3.1 smgl-iso to this directory

- enter the directory via chroot, see the attached script for commands
and stuff to remember (getting the directories mounted over helps
the system alot).

- (optional) update the sorcery install in the chroot (remember to
keep glibc at the old version).

- Mount the directories of the updater and the game, and
update/install as needed.

It seems to be only the updater that has problems with glibc, the
games (luckily) seems to work.

I'm not sure whether one could install sufficient libraries in the
chroot to allow the games to be run from there, but should it be
nessecary, I would expect it to be possible (one would need the X
libraries, possibly SDL and other stuff).

Hope this helps, please ask if I left something out.

/dossen