sm-discuss - Re: [SM-Discuss] glibc casting problem

sm-discuss AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Public SourceMage Discussion List

  • From: Treeve Jelbert <treeve01 AT pi.be>
  • To: sm-discuss AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [SM-Discuss] glibc casting problem
  • Date: Wed, 27 Nov 2002 22:39:57 +0100

On Wednesday 27 November 2002 21:20, Treeve Jelbert wrote:
> On Wednesday 27 November 2002 14:19, Ladislav Hagara wrote:
> > Howdy,
> >
> > i tried it, the result was the same.
> > I found that gunzip had some problem with glibc-2.3.1.tar.gz from my
> > /var/spool/sorcery:
> >
> > root@sourcemage:~# gunzip glibc-2.3.1.tar.gz
> > gunzip: glibc-2.3.1.tar.gz: decompression OK, trailing garbage ignored

from http://www.gzip.org/

gzip complains with trailing garbage ignored

Some tar.gz files are padded with zeroes to have a size
which is a multiple of a certain block size. This occurs in particular
when the compressed tar file is on a device such as a
magnetic tape. When such files are extracted with a command such as

gunzip

gunzip decompresses correctly the tar.gz file, then
attempts to decompress the rest of the input which consists of zeroes.
Since those zeroes are not in gzip format, gzip
ignores them. The tar extract command still works correctly,
since gzip has sent through the pipe all the data that tar
needs.

You can avoid this harmless warning by using the -q
option of gzip, as in:

gunzip -q