sm-discuss - Re: [SM-Discuss] Network Configuration Tool

sm-discuss AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Public SourceMage Discussion List

  • From: Casey Harkins <charkins AT upl.cs.wisc.edu>
  • To: nealbirch <nealbirch AT attbi.com>
  • Cc: sm-discuss AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [SM-Discuss] Network Configuration Tool
  • Date: Mon, 4 Nov 2002 15:32:38 -0600 (CST)

> nope, NETDEVDIR was /etc/sysconfig/network, but I didn't even get an
> error like "permission denied", either. Doesn't it invoke "su" to get
> root access, or did I read that wrong?

It will invoke 'su' if ROOTCHECK is set to 1. Did it prompt you for the
root password when you ran it (when it didn't save the files)? I've
already added in checks now to ensure NETDEVDIR exists, is a directory and
is writeable. If it doesn't exist, it will ask to create it. If you choose
'No' to creating it, then it will error out. If it exists but is not a
directory or not writeable, it will error out with an appropriate message.
This check occurs at startup.

> There is a certain point at which idiot proofing gets compulsive, I
> think. If someone is determined to screw things up, you can only do so much.

I agree, but it a simple check and its reasonable to think that some users
may not know they need a loopback device. In their quest to keep things
simple, they may remove that strange 'lo' device without understanding the
consequences.

> I was thinking net-tools could put in /usr/bin or someplace similar and
> leaving the net-tools as it is for installation purposes, maybe add a
> note that the new script is available and where it's at?

Sounds good, though I'd suggest /usr/sbin.

> > Once we move to the new installer, I'll probably modify this script to
> > work as a cauldron module as well.
>
> THAT is a good idea, too. Net-tools alone would work, but this might be
> more flexable.
>
> Damn, I gotta look at the installer again. add it to the list, neal...

Is there any documentation on cauldron? Is the code still in CVS? I
suppose I can just check for myself!

-casey