sm-discuss - Re: [SM-Discuss] xfree86 compile problems

sm-discuss AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Public SourceMage Discussion List

  • From: Marcus Martin <morwin AT cfl.rr.com>
  • To: Sergey A Lipnevich <sergeyli AT pisem.net>
  • Cc: John T Copeland <johnc AT neto.com>, sm-discuss AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [SM-Discuss] xfree86 compile problems
  • Date: Mon, 04 Nov 2002 13:02:48 -0500

I had xfree86 failing to build because of kernel 2.4.20-pre5. Built a new kernel (2.4.20-pre11 I think), the problem was gone. That was before ncurses upgrade.

I have not tried the ncurses solution. I am using the 2.4.19 kernel with the xfs patch.

Here is an outline of what I tried and what worked and where it failed.

1) Attempted to cast xfree86. It failed when trying to compile a bison file (to produce a c file and its header). I checked the code and bison made a legitimate gripe, the code segment ended with a } and not a semicolon. This has always been illegal, but the new bison reports an error on it where the old does not. Julian changed the version of bison pointed to by sourcemage and this resolved all flex/bison issues.

2) Recompiled. Fails in the os-support directory. I am not sure why. The compile log does not show which source file failed to compile and it scrolls of the screen to fast for me to see. Since I do not have X, I cannot view the log. So I am stuck at this point. I even tried removing all optimizations without success or change in the build process.

3) Feeling really frustrated, I downloaded XFree86 4.2.0 (not 4.2.1 which is pointed to by the xfree86 spell) and it compiled and installed fine (outside of sorcery). I simply do not know how to 'encourage' sorcery to cast only 4.2.0 and not 4.2.1. I also do not want the security patch Any suggestions would be great. Naturally, no spells will cast since I do not have x cast through sorcery.

I have not tried the ncurses thing, and I am not sure if this would work. If anyone knows that this works, I will give it a shot.

Marcus