sm-discuss - Re: [SM-Discuss] does samba depend on Linux-PAM?

sm-discuss AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Public SourceMage Discussion List

  • From: Geoffrey Derber <Geoffrey.Derber AT Trinity.edu>
  • To: Jeremy Kolb <jkolb AT brandeis.edu>
  • Cc: sm-discuss AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [SM-Discuss] does samba depend on Linux-PAM?
  • Date: Sun, 27 Oct 2002 00:13:02 -0500

[gderber@Source_Mage gderber]$ gaze what webmin
Webmin is a web-based interface for system administration for Unix. Using any
browser that supports tables and forms (and Java for the File Manager module),
you can setup user accounts, Apache, DNS, file sharing and so on.

Webmin consists of a simple web server, and a number of CGI programs which
directly update system files like /etc/inetd.conf and /etc/passwd. The web
server and all CGI programs are written in Perl version 5, and use no
non-standard Perl modules.

Geoff

Jeremy Kolb wrote:
Then a message should be displayed at POST_INSTALL i suppose. what's webmin?

Jeremy

Geoffrey Derber wrote:

I came to that conlusion about a month ago, but at the same time, I don't want PAM on my system. So that means I can't use swat, but there are other methods for configuring samba (webmin will do it). So leave it as an optional depends but make a note that you do need it if you want to use swat.

Geoff

Jeremy Kolb wrote:

hey all. I was wondering if any of you have been able to get into swat from your browsers without Linux-PAM installed. I couldn't for som reason no matter even after recasting samba about 20 billion times. Since casting Linux-PAM it works fine. I was just wondering if it indeed should depend on Linux-PAM or if my authentication problems stemmed from something else.

Jeremy