sm-discuss - [SM-Discuss] devfsd (bug 945)

sm-discuss AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Public SourceMage Discussion List

  • From: Andrew <afrayedknot AT thefrayedknot.armory.com>
  • To: sm-discuss AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: [SM-Discuss] devfsd (bug 945)
  • Date: Wed, 16 Oct 2002 16:58:05 -0700

so the release is coming out soon, and devfsd is not in it to my
knowledge, this is bug 945, which i currently own, although this isnt
really my area anymore. Do we want to add this in? IMO we are kind of
kidding ourselves if we have devfs but no devfsd to dynamically modify
devfs, which of course is the whole point of using it in favor of the
static /dev. Anyways, there are numerous advantages to having this,
with the minor cost of adding a line to mount.sh, or having one more
bootscript (the case with my system), and having one more spell in
the base system. Ive lobbied for this spell several times but it was
postponed in favor of waiting for a real init.d setup. Now that init.d
is pretty much ready to go now, I wanted to see what we can do with this.

Anyways, i thought id throw this at the group and see what consensus
deems necessary.

Andrew

  • [SM-Discuss] devfsd (bug 945), Andrew, 10/16/2002