sm-discuss - Re: [SM-Discuss] Using chroot to cast and rebuild

sm-discuss AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Public SourceMage Discussion List

  • From: Tim Squires <sourcemage AT cheekymail.net>
  • To: SourceMage Discussion List <sm-discuss AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [SM-Discuss] Using chroot to cast and rebuild
  • Date: 25 Sep 2002 11:36:23 +0100

The first try of a rebuild fell over when trying to access the device
for my root partition directly.... i.e.

/dev/ide/host0/disk0/part5 or something similar

and that device file is not available when running RH with the SM being
used via chroot.

I'm not sure why but I tried it again and it ran all the way through
without trying to access the deivce files.

The sorcery update command then started with

<snip>
root@tims:/var/lib/sorcery# sorcery update
Error: /proc must be mounted
To mount /proc at boot you need an /etc/fstab line like:
/proc /proc proc defaults
In the meantime, mount /proc /proc -t proc
</snip>

full output below...

So it wants the /proc mounted that is not available when chrooted but
still runs through OK? Should there be more to an update than the
output below?

Why is the output:

line 1068: /var/log/sorcery/activity: Is a directory

being seen any any cast, update or rebuild?

Has anyone enough spare time to answer all my questions or an I just
being a pain?

Thanks for any time you can spare an inquisitive soul.

Full output of update.....

root@tims:/var/lib/sorcery# sorcery update
Error: /proc must be mounted
To mount /proc at boot you need an /etc/fstab line like:
/proc /proc proc defaults
In the meantime, mount /proc /proc -t proc
--07:00:59--
http://codex.sourcemage.org/stable-grimoire/sorcery.tar.bz2
=> `sorcery.tar.bz2'
Resolving codex.sourcemage.org... done.
Connecting to codex.sourcemage.org[152.2.210.81]:80... connected.
Length: 781,354 [application/x-tar]

100%[=================================================>] 781,354
17.86K/s ETA 00:00

utime(sorcery.tar.bz2): No such file or directory
07:01:42 (17.86 KB/s) - `sorcery.tar.bz2' saved [781354/781354]

mv: cannot stat `sorcery.tar.bz2': No such file or directory
--07:01:43-- http://www.smee.org/smgl/stable/sorcery.tar.bz2
=> `sorcery.tar.bz2'
Resolving www.smee.org... done.
Connecting to www.smee.org[195.184.244.187]:80... connected.
Length: 781,354 [application/x-tar]

22.84K/s ETA 00:00

07:02:17 (22.84 KB/s) - `sorcery.tar.bz2' saved [781354/781354]

/usr/sbin/summon: line 1068: /var/log/sorcery/activity: Is a directory
/tmp/casting.6045.7697: line 1068: /var/log/sorcery/activity: Is a
directory