sm-discuss - Re: [SM-Discuss] Great, I broke it ;-)

sm-discuss AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Public SourceMage Discussion List

  • From: julian AT openit.de (Julian v. Bock)
  • To: SM-Discuss AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [SM-Discuss] Great, I broke it ;-)
  • Date: Tue, 17 Sep 2002 01:37:22 +0200

Hi

SP> Hey there... I've been rebuilding my box, and decided to try
SP> adding -fomit-frame-pointer to my optimizations... It seems that
SP> breaks glibc and or pthreads pretty badly, such that make and ls
SP> and vim all segfault.

Never use -fomit-frame-pointer unless you know exactly what you are
compiling. It makes debugging impossible, breaks all C++ stuff that
uses exceptions (probably the same for other frontends like java), and
can cause lots of other pain.

If sorcery provides this option I suggest strongly to remove it since
you will probably never get a usable system if all your software has
been compiled that way.

Julian