sm-discuss - [SM-Discuss] ANNOUNCEMENT: Sorcery 0.8.1 Released

sm-discuss AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Public SourceMage Discussion List

  • From: Nick Jennings <nkj AT namodn.com>
  • To: sm-discuss AT lists.ibiblio.org, sm-sorcery AT lists.ibiblio.org, sm-grimoire AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: [SM-Discuss] ANNOUNCEMENT: Sorcery 0.8.1 Released
  • Date: Tue, 10 Sep 2002 17:44:22 -0700

Hi Everyone,

Sorcery version 0.8.1 (1.0 BETA2) has been tagged in CVS and the tarball
should be available on download.sourcemage.org within minutes.

There have been *many* bug fixes, and minor feature enhancements in
numerous areas.

One thing to note, is *DO NOT USE THE 'sorcery' SPELL* (this should
actually have been removed, and should be shortly, but for now, just
be aware). Use 'sorcery-devel' for nightly CVS tarballs or 'sorcery-stable'
for 0.8.1 (and future stable releases).

So the first thing you should do:

# cast -c -r sorcery-stable (or devel)
# sorcery update

- System Account Management:

One of the major new features is the introduction of the System Account
management for spells to create the accounts they need.

Some of you may recall me asking for lists of accounts needed by
spells some time ago, I've generated a system (hasn't been tested
much <grin>) in /etc/sorcery/accounts & /etc/sorcery/groups.

The function (in libgrimoire) for spells to use is:

create_account <account_name>

If the account is registered in the accounts file, the account will
be created with the UID assigned to it. This will ensure that spell
accounts will not interfere with user-space UID's (1000+), and that
the UID/GID's will be the same across systems.

Guru's update your spells in devel (but don't advance it into
testing, or stable, because sorcery 0.8.x is only in devel).

So, there you have it, test away.

Release Notes will be put up later tonight (no time right now) and
you will be able to get them here:

http://wiki.sourcemage.org/index.php?page=Sorcery+0.8.1+Release+Notes

Thanks for all your help (i.e. testing and bug reports), and (as always)
special thanks to the Sorcery Team (and our honorary member Ryan Abrams :)
for all of the hard work.

--
Nick Jennings
Sorcery Team Lead