sm-discuss - Re: [SM-Discuss] Install ISOs

sm-discuss AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Public SourceMage Discussion List

  • From: "Wyatt Draggoo" <wyatt AT draggoo.com>
  • To: eric AT sandall.us
  • Cc: sm-discuss AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [SM-Discuss] Install ISOs
  • Date: Thu, 05 Sep 2002 16:40:45 -0700 (PDT)

> Does GRUB work on PPC computers? If so, I propose that we change the
> default boot loader for the ISOs from LILO to GRUB, that way we can use
> one boot loader for all of our install ISOs (x86,PPC,
> soon-to-come-Sparc,etc.).

I thought there was an issue with GRUB not working on some older PCs that
LILO worked on. Don't remember the details, but it's normally brought up
every time someone mentions `GRUB' on the list. :) If this is the case,
I'm not quite sure whether I'd rather make a mostly-all-in-one GRUB-based
multi-platform install ISO with a second LILO-based one for those PCs that
don't do GRUB, or ISOs for each platform using the bootloader that works
for that platform. The multi-platform install ISO is something cool to
shoot for. And after that, when cauldron installs *everything* through
spells, we'll shoot for a multi-platform network-based floppy image. :)

Wyatt

--
Wyatt Draggoo