sm-discuss - [SM-Discuss] X, XFT and a load of fonts

sm-discuss AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Public SourceMage Discussion List

  • From: "Bearcat M. Sandor" <Sorcerer AT TheDragonsEdge.com>
  • To: sm-discuss AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: [SM-Discuss] X, XFT and a load of fonts
  • Date: 26 Aug 2002 23:13:56 -0600

Folks,

I have a situation where I will need a lot of fonts loaded on my system.
I have a directory with all the font files that I'd like to make
available to X/Gnome. There are 3000 or so in there.

I know that if I load them all into my font dir, create fonts.dir and
fonts.scale, and then run 'xset fp rehash' I will get errors and X might
hang when I boot it up next.

My questions are thus:

1. Is there a way to tell which fonts won't work with out having to do
3000 font installations and tests? Is there some kind of font tester
out there? Is there a font installer that will skip the bad ones but
do it in batches?

2. If I can't get them all loaded, is there a way to view them without
actually installing them (probably not).

3. I enabled anti-aliasing in gnome2 by way of the 'export
GDK_USE_XFT=1'. Now there is a font that appears for X, but not for
Gnome2, anf it did, b4 I set that. Why? The path to that font is in
/etc/XftConfig. Also, since enabling xft in gnome, apps are loading 2-3
times faster. is that normal?

4. Would having so many fonts installed slowdown X.Gnome? I know that
having too many fonts in Windows is possible. Is it in X/Gnome?

Thanx in advance,

Bearcat