sm-discuss - [SM-Discuss] SM on a laptop

sm-discuss AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Public SourceMage Discussion List

  • From: Spencer Ogden <spencero AT mail.utexas.edu>
  • To: Sm-Discuss AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: [SM-Discuss] SM on a laptop
  • Date: Thu, 1 Aug 2002 08:56:29 -0500

Not sure if the mssage below got through, soory if it some how comes
through multiple times, I think I had the wrong address....

So I got SM installed on my laptop, I had to use the harddrive transplant
method as the laptop has no external drives.

So far so good, it boots up on its own. I am unable to get the built in
ethernet working however. I am pretty sure it is based on the sis900
chip, which I have compiled a module for. When I do a `modprobe sis900` I
get (paraphrased):

...sis900.o : init_module: No such device
Hint: insmod errors can be caused by incorrect module parameters, including
invalid IO or IRQ parameters.

So first question is, Are there tools in the base install which would let
me list the pci bus and try to find out what is on what IRQ? Can this be
done through /proc?

Second, I see a lot mention of IRQ 11 being found and being shared in
dmesg. Is it possible a shared IRQ is causing the problem? The BIOS in
zero help interms of giving an IRQ listing at start up or allow me to
disable internal components.

Would I be better off just trying to get my wireless PC Card working first?

Spencer