sm-discuss - Re: [SM-Discuss] Tiny Source Mage

sm-discuss AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Public SourceMage Discussion List

  • From: Eric Womack <eric AT lasvegasdata.com>
  • To: "sm-discuss" <sm-discuss AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [SM-Discuss] Tiny Source Mage
  • Date: Mon, 29 Jul 2002 23:56:42 -0700

On Monday 29 July 2002 11:20 pm, Eric Womack wrote:
> First of all, I have seen all the coments posted about my previous thread
> and I refuse to comment on the various rants. I will simply put forth what
> I am doing in order to share the info with the community.
>
> As a reminder, this is a 486 laptop with 8M of RAM and a 700 meg hard
> drive.
>
> Now, back to the technical side. I have managed to get this machine on the
> net with a PCMCIA card. As you may remember, I have also managed to
> compile the required pcmcia-cs as well as dhcpcd. Now, where I run into
> trouble is with a "sorcery update" as well as "cast sorcery-only". It
> seems to hang on bunzip'ing the downloaded file (as in working on it for 2
> days with no results). Now, I know the machine can compile (albiet slowly)
> so why would a sorcery update cause it so much trouble?
>
> Eric

Also, (as I reply to myself!) an interesting idea was put forth by toga on
IRC
about using another (more powerful) machine to do the heavy lifting of
compiling, then trasfering that to the intended machine.

I will be trying that out later as a comparison. Imagine a "Source Mage
Producing Machine" that spits out images for low-end machines to run as
firewalls, routers, remote clients, etc.. My first test's will be the simple
"move the drive to the machine" technique to check viability.

Eric (again)