sm-admin - Re: [SM-Admin] [SM-Discuss] rearranging ibiblio and getting mirroring going

sm-admin AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Developer Only Discussion List

  • From: Eric Sandall <eric AT sandall.us>
  • To: sm-discuss AT lists.ibiblio.org, sm-admin AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [SM-Admin] [SM-Discuss] rearranging ibiblio and getting mirroring going
  • Date: Tue, 20 Mar 2007 14:34:18 -0700

On Saturday 17 March 2007 14:13:49 Jeremy Blosser wrote:
> I'm working on getting some data mirroring infrastructure in place so we
> aren't dependent on ibiblio uptime and speed. What I'm working on will let
> us use the paid servers to point to currently active mirrors, to allow
> us to take advantage of offers for mirrors on high bandwidth pipes even if
> they aren't up all the time (home lines, uni lines, other free stuff,
> etc.).
>
> Anyway, as part of this I'm rearranging the content on ibiblio to be a
> little more organized and easier to mirror / monitor. I'm leaving symlinks
> to all the old locations so no one should notice anything different, but
> those of you that do uploads should at least be aware of it.
>
> The new layout should look something like:
>
> without symlinks:
>
> download.sourcemage.org
> cauldron/
> image/

I assume this is for chroot/Xen images?

> iso/

As long as we leave the iso -> cauldron/iso symlink up for
download.sourcemage.org, this should be fine, but I don't think it'd be a
good idea to 'hide' the ISO directory under a name which people new to SMGL
won't understand. Most will understand "iso" as where to get our installer,
but "cauldron"?

> grimoire/
> codex/ (aka codex.sourcemage.org)
> distro/
> fallback/ (aka fallback.sourcemage.org)
> misc/
> projects/

Perhaps drop the "misc" and have "projects" at the top, since by definition
they'd be "projects other than the already listed".

> sorcery/
> sounds/
> tmp/

Do we really still want this publicly available and mirrored?

> tome/
> logos/
> screenshots/
<snip>

Perhaps also "documentation", depending on if we want to have
plain-text/TeX/etc. versions of our documentation available.

-sandalle

http://eric.sandall.us/ | http://counter.li.org/ #196285