sm-admin - Re: [SM-Admin] SMGL Developers - CVS server begining to look like a reality!

sm-admin AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Developer Only Discussion List

  • From: "Eric Sandall" <eric AT sandall.us>
  • To: <sm-admin AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [SM-Admin] SMGL Developers - CVS server begining to look like a reality!
  • Date: Wed, 26 Mar 2003 00:20:12 -0800 (PST)

Eric Schabell said:

>> On Wednesday March 26 2003 02:28, you wrote:
>> Eric Schabell said:
>> <snip>
>>
>> > Looks like this is about to happen in the near future, we are almost
>> back on track! Thanks to Joost in advanced for his work and to all
>> the developers out there that have had to suffer w/o CVS for the
>> past few months.... the pain is almost over! ;-)
>>
>> Eric, not to nit-pick or anything, but this last paragraph makes us
>> sound as though we don't like Perforce and that we're ungrateful to
>> Tony and the Perforce company for the use of their software. Now, I
>> agree that we should use all Free (as in speech) software for our
>> distro and that it's somewhat hypocritical of us to use non-free and I
>> prefere CVS anyways, we should be thankful that we _do_ have an
>> alternative. If this isn't the way you meant to be perceived with
>> that message, then ignore this little rant. ;) However, if you did
>> mean it as above, I think you might want to apologize, or at least
>> explain why you think that way and that not all of us are of the same
>> mind. I appreciate the help of Perforce and it is a good system which
>> we have benefited from for a while, so I don't think we should go
>> rubbing dirt in their faces.
>>
> Well, well, well!
>
> I would assume that you might realize that this is directed at the
> non-perforce users (Tony and Perforce know exactly how they feel....)
> who absolutly refused to use Perforce and still stuck with us while
> turning in tarballs or whatever..... if you read closely there is no
> point where Perforce is removed from our distro... ;-)
>
> I think Tony knows what the deal is, we all work together to supply the
> alternative that developers want to use.
>
> Let's not dwell on these sort of subjects, you all should know me better
> than that, I never intend to hurt, damage or appear ugly to any
> fraction of our team or supporting organizations. Let's quit on that
> note?
>
> [END OF THREAD]

That's what I thought, but wasn't sure, so I sent it to you and not the
list. :) I've been lurking on the LKML, and BitKeeper comes up quite a
bit (man, those guys can waste quite a bit of time on that :(). I was
just wanting to make sure that we are all koshur and not to degrade
anyone's contributions. ;)

-One of Four
a.k.a. sandalle

--