seedkeepers - Re: [Seed Keepers] Fwd: [SANET-MG] Wineberries: A Natural Crop with Promise

seedkeepers@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Seed Keepers

  • From: Chris Garriss <cgarriss@garriss.net>
  • To: Seed Keepers <seedkeepers@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [Seed Keepers] Fwd: [SANET-MG] Wineberries: A Natural Crop with Promise
  • Date: Fri, 22 Apr 2011 21:38:47 -0400

I don't know why I'd forgotten these - where I grew up in Maryland these grew "wild".  Escapees from some cultivated area.  Every year,  as children,  we would continually check waiting impatiently for them to ripen - and hoping to beat the wildlife to them.

A very pretty, great flavored berry.   I can certainly agree that introduced they would become very popular with the public.  They were very easy transplants, in the 1970's I transplanted some from Maryland to central NC.  Unfortunately when I moved I had to leave them - in the intervening time they have either died out or been removed.

Something I would definitely want to add to my mix of fruits and berries.